New Venture Creation
Our objective is to help establish new technology-based business in the North West, by assisting people to get environmentally focused business ideas off the ground through our Business Creation Competition, providing free advice and assistance to existing businesses, or assisting researchers within the Lancaster Environment Centre, to commercialise their inventions.
Business Creation Competition
Launched in April 2007; seeking creative, realistic and environmentally-focused business ideas from people wishing to turn them into reality. A panel of business experts select up to four winners a year, to receive outstanding prizes including:
- 12 Months’ accommodation in The Gordon Manley Building – the new business extension to LEC.
- Training and mentoring to develop and refine their business plan.
- £500 of technical consultancy by Lancaster University researchers.
- Other assistance including, intellectual property protection advice, help with the costs of legal incorporation, identifying and accessing collaborative grant funding, and assistance with e-commerce / website development.
- Lancaster University’s press office may be able to assist on mutually beneficial PR and marketing activities.
Following the launch of the competition, calling for creative, realistic and environmentally-focused business ideas from people wishing to turn them into reality, we are pleased to announce the 2007 winners:
Kenneth Cheung, who will produce novel organic fertilizer and odour control products.
Eddie Sammon and Andrew Glover, who are establishing Ethical Fuels Ltd, a bio-fuel feedstock manufacturing and trading business.
Becky Toal, who will launch Crowberry Consulting Ltd, an environment, ethics and corporate social responsibility management consultancy.
The winners will receive a host of prizes and unique opportunities including 12 months’ free incubation support and accommodation in The Gordon Manley Building – the new business extension to LEC.
Tel: +44 (0)1524 510 450
Dr Ruth Alcock
Tel: +44 (0)1524 510285
Tel: +44 (0)1524 510229
Dr Chris Holroyd
Tel: +44 (0)1524 510228
Dr Paul McKenna
Tel: +44 (0) 1524 510301
Visiting Research Staff
Dr Jason Moore
Arid Agritech Ltd
Dr David Marks
Levity Crop Science
Dr Ben MJ Herbert
Stopford Projects Ltd
Dr Matteo Dalla Valle
The REACH Centre Ltd
Dr Sandra Meijer
The REACH Centre Ltd
Small World Consulting Ltd